Saturday, February 6, 2010

Breaking the Laws of Nature Photography






Long ago I was told that a good nature photographer had to make sure that nothing manmade appeared in his photographs. No bird feeders, no buildings, no cars, no barns.......nothing manmade was the rule, and it was a rule that most top nature photographers followed. The idea was to capture nature in its' raw state. A nature photo was suppose to transport us to a place yet undiscovered by man.


Like so many others, I tried that for a number of years. I managed to capture some interesting shots, but it pains me now to think of all the great ones I missed. The ones I missed because I stuck to the rules. Today......that has changed! No more rules for this photographer! My goals have changed, and my direction has turned onto an entirely new path. Now, I am after the most interesting shot, and I don't care where I might find it. I am certainly not going to pass up a shot because of where the subject might be. In fact, I now look for those interesting places where my subject is not suppose to be. I seek out the spot that makes the viewer ask, "How did you find him there?"


The answer, of course, is simple. I have opened my eyes to a broader world. I am allowing myself to look into the shadows and find the unexpected. I have made a concious decision to break the rules. You would be surprised to see what is all around us, if only we take the time to look........really LOOK.



No comments:

Post a Comment